Friday, March 21, 2014

Major Winter storm Possible Next week

*MAJOR WINTER STORM POSSIBLE*

Global computer model guidance has come to the consensus that a storm will be developing early next week as two pieces of Arctic energy dive south, and foster the development of a storm along a boundary layer expected to set up along the northern Gulf of Mexico. This storm is then expected to track northeastward, and up the eastern seaboard; guided by the tilt of a trough in the east. Depending on a wide range of factors, this storm will either track east of our region, too far offshore to bring any significant impacts; or slightly westward, and along the coast.
 
If this system does take the western track, and hugs the coastline; areas from Washington, D.C. through Portland, ME including Baltimore, M.D.; Philadelphia, PA; New York, NY; and Boston, MA would be impacted by heavy snow and high winds Tuesday night into Wednesday (March 25th-26th).

 While at this time, I can not give potential accumulations just yet, I will say that if the western track ends up coming to fruition, a large area of 6”+ is likely somewhere along the I-95 corridor between Washington, D.C. and Bangor, ME in addition to very strong and gusty winds. However, just as likely as the western track, is an eastern track; where the storm would track too far offshore to bring any significant impacts to our region. If the storm takes the eastern track, flurries and windy conditions would be felt along the New Jersey coastline, with the potential for some accumulating snows and very gusty winds along the southern and northern New England coastline.

    While I am not leaning towards any solution just yet, I am keeping a very cautious and close eye on this potential system as it poses a major threat to a very large and heavily populated portion of our region. Stay tuned for the very latest information as I will continue to monitor this developing situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment